The city formed the committee after joining the HEAL Cities and Towns Campaign in the fall of 2014. This program is a partnership between LiveWell Colorado and the Colorado Municipal League (CML), which provides training and technical assistance to achieve the goals of HEAL. The committee focuses on healthy food access, active living, community engagement and social health.
For 2021, the HEAL Committee has coordinated a series of Full Moon Bike Rides - a free community event! These bike rides will be focused on the amazing trail system, parks and historic areas in Northglenn. Riders of all abilities are welcome and a different route highlighting a new area of the city will be explored each month.
The Full Moon Bike Rides are a free community event, where cyclists can enjoy a casual 5-12 mile bike ride in our awesome city! All rides begin and end at the Northglenn Recreation Center located at 11801 Community Center Drive. Register online or at the Recreation Center before the ride begins.
Dates and Times:
- May 26 (Full Flower Moon) - meet at the Rec Center at 5, depart at 5:30 pm.
- June 24 (Full Strawberry Moon) - meet at the Rec Center at 5, depart at 5:30 pm
- July 23 (Full Thunder Moon) -meet at the Rec Center at 5, depart at 5:30 pm
- Aug. 21 (Full Sturgeon Moon) - meet at the Rec Center at 8:30 am, depart at 9 am
- Sept. 20 (Full Corn Moon) -meet at the Rec Center at 5, depart at 5:30 pm
- Oct. 20 (Full Harvest Moon, Tentative- dependent on weather) -meet at the Rec Center at 5, depart at 5:30 pm
Activity Number: 21290001
In 2020, the HEAL Committee coordinated a Facebook Live seminar to answer your questions about teen vaping. A panel of local experts discussed the health implications and legal ramifications involved. To view the seminar, visit www.facebook.com/cityofnorthglenn/live
The panelists included:
- Devan Lorimer (email@example.com) - Health Education Specialist, Tri-County Health Department
- Molly Huffman (firstname.lastname@example.org) - Dean of Students, Northglenn High School
- Abhiyan Barailee (email@example.com) - Board Member, Northglenn Youth Commission
- Dr. Evan Stepp (SteppE@NJHealth.org) - Faculty Pulmonary and Critical Care Physician, National Jewish Health
- Lynn Riemer (firstname.lastname@example.org, 720-480-0291) - President and Founder, ACT on Drugs, Inc.
Here are some follow-up resources related to teen vaping:
- Informational YouTube Video Shown During Live Seminar
- CDPHE Tip Sheet: Talking to Teens
- TCHD Tobacco Cessation Resources
The committee currently meets the third Tuesday of the month from noon to 1 p.m. in City Hall, 11701 Community Center Drive. Community members and business owners are being sought to join the committee. If you are interested, please contact Becky Smith at the information in the contact box.
- Food Access Assessment Executive Summary
- Food Access Assessment Full Report
- Northglenn Healthy Vending and Concessions Policy
- Tri-County Health Department Vending and Concessions Assessment