Randall Peterson was selected as the new Ward 1 Council Member at the Jan. 6 Council Meeting. View the meeting below.
There is a vacancy in Ward 1 as of Dec. 9 since Ward 1 Council Member Meredith Leighty was elected mayor.
The process for filling a vacancy on council is provided in Section 3.8 of the City Charter and in Section 2-2-7 of the Municipal Code. At their Nov. 18 meeting, council decided to solicit applications for the vacancy from Nov. 28 through Dec. 12.
The term expires in November 2021.
City Council interviewed applicants for the Ward 1 opening at its Dec. 16 special meeting/study session. The video below begins at the start of the interviews (2:48:00).
Ward 1 Applicant Applications
- James Miller
- Randall Peterson
- Catherine Sanders
- Fred Tapia
- Nicholas Trostel
- Donald Vallero
- Nicholas Walker
- Alexander Winkler
Application Period: Thursday, Nov. 28, 2019 to Thursday, Dec. 12, 2019 at 5 p.m.
- Nov. 28, 2019: Notice of 14-day application period with notifications placed in the Northglenn-Thornton Sentinel and posted on city-owned social media accounts and website. Eligibility requirements and all application information will be included.
- Nov. 28 – Dec. 12, 2019: 14-day application period for City Council appointment. Interested applicants must have applied by 5 p.m. on Thursday, December 12, 2019.
- Dec. 9, 2019: A vacancy in Ward 1 was created when Ward 1 Council member and current Mayor Pro Tem Meredith Leighty was sworn-in as mayor. Council vacancies must be filled by appointment within 30 days of the date the vacancy is created. The individual appointed to fill the position will serve the remainder of the term, which expires in November 2021.
- Dec. 16, 2019 (Study Session): On Dec. 16, City Council conducted interviews for the Ward 1 vacancy created by the election of Mayor Meredith Leighty. “I was pleased we had so much interest in the position and I deeply appreciate the time and effort of the eight applicants,” said Leighty. “The interviews really brought out diverse, impressive perspectives – it’s going to be a tough decision.” Video of the interviews may be watched above.
- Jan. 6, 2020 (Special Meeting): Selection by council and appointment of the new council member. This council member will serve until the regularly-scheduled general election in November 2019.
- Jan. 8, 2020: 30-day deadline to fill the Ward 1 vacancy by appointment.
- Nov. 2, 2021: Next general election for Council members in all four wards.
If you are unsure of what ward you live in, call 303.450.8757.