There will be a vacancy in Ward 1 as of Dec. 9 since Ward 1 Council Member Meredith Leighty was elected mayor.
The process for filling a vacancy on council is provided in Section 3.8 of the City Charter and in Section 2-2-7 of the Municipal Code. At their Nov. 18 meeting, council decided to solicit applications for the vacancy from Nov. 28 through Dec. 12.
The term expires in November 2021.
Application Period: Thursday, Nov. 28, 2019 to Thursday, Dec. 12, 2019 at 5 p.m.
- Online application (Click on the link to open form in new panel. Application will be sent to the city.)
- PDF application (Print, complete, and return via scan/email, in person, or mail)
- Fillable Word Document application (Save to your computer, complete, and return via email or print then submit in person or via mail)
- Nov. 28, 2019: Notice of 14-day application period with notifications placed in the Northglenn-Thornton Sentinel and posted on city-owned social media accounts and website. Eligibility requirements and all application information will be included.
- Nov. 28 – Dec. 12, 2019: 14-day application period for City Council appointment. Interested applicants must apply by 5 p.m. on Thursday, December 12, 2019.
- Dec. 9, 2019: A vacancy in Ward 1 will be created when Ward 1 Council member and current Mayor Pro Tem Meredith Leighty is sworn-in as Mayor. Council vacancies must be filled by appointment within 30 days of the date the vacancy is created. The individual appointed to fill the position will serve the remainder of the term, which expires in November 2021.
- Dec. 16, 2019 (Study Session): City Council interviews applicants for vacant council position. Interviews will be conducted during an open meeting and televised on Channel 8.
- Jan. 6, 2020 (Special Meeting): Selection by council and appointment of the new council member. This council member will serve until the regularly-scheduled general election in November 2019.
- Jan. 8, 2020: 30-day deadline to fill the Ward 1 vacancy by appointment.
- Nov. 2, 2021: Next general election for Council members in all four wards.
If you are unsure of what ward you live in, call 303.450.8757.