VIEW THE March 17 PUBLIC MEETING
Update: on March 28 City Council unanimously voted to extend the winter housing program. See the meeting here at the 1:48:44 mark: https://youtu.be/Zu0AkoQze3I
In December 2021, the City of Northglenn, in partnership with Adams County and Denver Rescue Mission, opened a temporary 25-bed winter housing program for eligible persons experiencing homelessness (PEH). The program is housed in the old recreation center building, 11801 Community Center Drive. The program is working successfully:
- Twenty beds have been used regularly by persons that have day activities (jobs, training programs, etc.). Participants are using the stability of a place to leave their belongings and sleep every night to take steps towards permanent housing. As participants cycle out of the 20-bed recurring program, others transition in. All participants go through a referral/acceptance system and must adhere to program guidelines. There have been 39 participants.
- Five beds are for emergency shelter with PEH brought solely by Northglenn Police (no walk-ups, no other agencies may use the beds). These have also been used frequently; 30 participants to date. Case management services identified that several emergency cases were eligible to move to the multi-night program.
- All participants are provided case management services through the City of Northglenn Crisis Response Unit (CRU).
- There have been no police calls, no complaints from surrounding residents or businesses, and few medical calls.
The old rec center building will eventually be a part of new construction (Civic Center Master Plan), but the agreement with a private partner has not been executed yet. It has been proposed to extend the program through Aug. 31 while the site remains vacant. This would allow the program participants continued stability for a few more months to further pursue permanent housing.
City Council will vote on the extension on March 28. Residents and businesses are invited to give input on the extension and ask questions about the program at a public in-person meeting or via the form below. The public meeting will be recorded for later viewing and posted on this page.
- What: Winter Housing Program Report and Proposed Extension Public Meeting
- Who: For Northglenn residents and businesses, presented by program staff
- When: 6 p.m., Thursday, March 17
- Where: City Council Chambers, 11701 Community Center Drive
- Why: Give input/ask questions about the winter housing program extension to Aug. 31
- How: In-person meeting or watch recording of the meeting afterwards. Make comments in person or online using the form below.
Input is due by March 23 in order to provide to City Council before they vote on the issue March 28.
Questions? Contact Rupa Venkatesh, Assistant to the City Manager, at email@example.com or 720.376.8069, for additional inquiries.