This means the city’s residents elect a governing body (known as City Council) that conducts the legislative functions of the city. In turn, the City Manager executes the laws and administers the city’s government.
Powers and Responsibilities
- Enact local legislation
- Adopt the city’s budget
- Determine policies for the city
- Appoint the City Manager
- Appoint the City Clerk
- Appoint the city attorney
- Appoint the municipal judge
- Appoint members of various Boards and Commissions
- Represent the city on various area, regional and state boards and organizations
- Council meetings are on the second and fourth Monday of the month at 7 p.m.
- Study sessions are held as needed on the first and third Monday of each month at 6 p.m.
Review City Council Documents
- Ashley Witkovich
City Council Attendance
Meeting attendance for the Mayor and City Council members can be viewed in the reports below.
Council consists of nine members, including the mayor. Two council members are elected from each of the City’s four wards, while the mayor is elected at-large, by the general public.
Council members are elected for four-year terms. Per Colorado state law, the mayor and council members are limited to two consecutive terms in office, but may serve more than two terms if they are not continuous.
Council assumes office at the first meeting following certification of results. At this meeting, a Mayor Pro Tem is selected and council appointments are made to various Boards and Commissions.
The City is divided into four contiguous wards. These wards have approximately the same amount of voters to assure equal representation.
- Mayor Pro Tem: Willford
- Adams 12 Five Star Board Liaison: Lukeman-Hiromasa
- Adams County Economic Development Executive Committee Appointment: Leighty
- Adams County Council of Governments Subregional Transportation Forum Representative: Duran Mullica
- Adams County Council of Governments Subregional Transportation Forum Alternate Representative: Willford
- Business Relations Coordinator Appointment: Brown
- Colorado Communities for Climate Action Representative: Willford
- Colorado Communities for Climate Action Alternate Representative: Goff
- Colorado Municipal League Representative: Willford
- Colorado Municipal League Alternate Representative: Downing
- Denver Regional Council of Governments Representative: Duran Mullica
- Denver Regional Council of Governments Alternate Representative: Downing
- Finance Committee Appointments: Leighty, Downing, Lukeman-Hiromasa
- Historic Preservation Commission Ex-Officio: Witkovich
- Legislative Policy Committee Appointments: Duran Mullica, Goff, and Willford
- Metro Mayors Caucus Appointment: Leighty
- Metro North Chamber of Commerce Appointment: Downing
- Mile High Flood District Appointment: Leighty
- North Area Transportation Alliance Representative: Duran Mullica
- North Area Transportation Alliance Alternate Representative: Willford
- North Metro Fire Rescue District Board Liaison: Witkovich
- Northglenn Arts & Humanities Foundation Liaison: Downing
- Northglenn Senior Organization Liaison: Lukeman-Hiromasa
- Northglenn Urban Renewal Authority Appointment: Brown
- Outside Agency Funding Committee Appointments: Witkovich, Lukeman-Hiromasa
- Parks and Recreation Advisory Board Ex-Officio: Witkovich
- Parliamentarian: Brown
- Planning Commission Ex-Officio: Downing
- Rangeview Library District Liaison: Goff
- Rocky Flats Stewardship Council Appointment: Downing
- Rocky Mountain Cradle to Career Partnership Appointment: Willford
- Youth Commission Ex-Officio: Brown