nextdoor instagram twitter facebook youtube

Sealing and Expungement

Juvenile Cases
(Any traffic cases can not be expunged as they do not appear on criminal history records)

How to Expunge Juvenile Delinquency Records

The link above is a complete list of instructions of how to seal your juvenile case.  A brief summary is listed below:

You have the right to have your records in this case expunged by order of this Court if you were a juvenile at the time of the commission of the alleged offenses in this case,  your case is dismissed or your case closed AND you have no pending case(s) before the Municipal Court.

Expunging your records means that you may lawfully assert that you have no juvenile delinquency record related to this case and that these records do not exist; and that you may lawfully deny ever being arrested, charged, convicted or sentenced in the expunged matter.

If the Municipal Prosecutor does not object to the expungement, the Court will automatically expunge your records 42 days after either a dismissal or full compliance with your sentence. If the Prosecutor objects, the Court will set the case for a hearing and the Court will decide if your records should be expunged.  At the hearing the Court will determine whether or not you have been:

  • rehabilitated to the satisfaction of the Court and
  • if the expungement is in your best interest and the best interest of the community.

If the Court orders your record expunged concerning this case, the Court will send a copy of the Order to the following: You, the juvenile defendant, your attorney (if any), the Prosecuting Attorney, the Northglenn Police Department and the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI).

If there are other agencies that may have custody of any records concerning this case you may provide a list of these other agencies to the Court and the Court will send its Expungement Order and notify those agencies at no cost.  This list must be provided within 7 days after the completion of the sentence or the case being closed. 

Adult Cases (Non-Convictions)

(This does not apply to traffic offenses or offenses concerning the holder of a commercial driver’s license or the operator of a commercial motor vehicle.  These infractions do not appear on criminal history records)
Sealing of Criminal Conviction Municipal Records

The link above is a complete list of instructions of how to seal your adult case.  A brief summary is listed below:

You may ask the Court to immediately seal your case and that any criminal justice records, except for identifying information if:

  • The case was dismissed, and the dismissal was not part of a plea agreement in a separate case.
  • You completed a deferred judgment and sentence.
  • You have paid any and all restitution, fines and court courts, late fees, or other fees ordered by the Court, or the Court has vacated such order(s).
  • You have paid the $65 Municipal Court sealing fee (the Court can waive if determined indigent). In addition, to this fee, the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) is authorized under state law to charge “any costs related to the sealing of … criminal justice records subject to the order.”
  • If the case you are requesting to be sealed has a victim protected under 24-4.1.303(11)(b.7) of the Colorado Revised Statutes (C.R.S), then the victim has a right to be heard in a hearing within 42 days to contest your sealing request.

If the Court grants your Motion to Seal, you may legally say that these records do not exist.